Sunday, March 17, 2013

The unbearable invisibility of the observer

Just submitted my abstract to a methodological conference at King's. Something I  have been working on for the last two years, I have so much material to talk about but I need to think strategically and implement my "One and Half Ideas Rule": only one idea and a hint at another in every presentation/article. strangely enough, I come upw ith that rule based on my experience of writing travel articles.

I decided to focus on one of the main issues of the Cartesian disassociation: the invisibility of the scientific observer. It has been a big deal in social sciences, particularly in anthropology, although economics, history and some others have managed to get away with pretending it does not exist.

I break down the issue into three aspects: epistemic, cultural and pscyhological, demonstrate how that gets in the way of research results on study cases and then suggest how that might be tackled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment